Thursday, November 15, 2007

"Speederman!"

"Speederman". That's how the French say "Spiderman". The letter "i" in French is pronounced "ee" as in "teeth". Turns out that french kids are pretty big fans of the Spiderman movies. And, this past week, the third installment of the series hit the video outlets here. Ethan is also a big fan of Spiderman. When he found out that it was available for rent he asked if we would rent it. So, last Saturday, he and I walked to the video store. It is pretty much like what we have in the States except it is generally smaller, not as well stocked, and displays adult videos (along with their x-rated covers) in plain view. (Note: We did not go into the area where the adult videos were so please no comments about my "bad" parenting!)

Unfortunately for Ethan there were no Spiderman videos to be had. He was quite sad. On the way back home he was pretty quiet until finally he said, "Dad, why doesn't anyone give back the movie?" That brought a smile to my face especially considering the sorta sad-anger I could hear in his voice.

A few minutes later he asked me where we were going. I said, "We're going home, Bub" to which he responded, "Why are we going home?". Apparently life at home isn't worth living unless Spiderman is there!!!

The French aren't the only ones who speak with an accent. The other day in school the teacher asked Gracey to say some particular words in English. Words like "bunkbed", "DVD", etc. After she got done the teacher said, "You have a weird accent!"

Maybe when we get done here we all will have a weird accent. I feel like I'm floating between 2 competing languages and instead of using both of them I more often then not end up using "Franglais" which does nobody any good.

Hope you all have a great day.

sf

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ethan,
There must be a french "Little Miss Muffet" and she scared the Speederman away! Go figure!
Love G'ma Judy

Tony Lombardo said...

Steve,

I miss you guys. Its not the same at the sem without seeing you in the library and hearing the girls playing the piano. I have been reading your blog, but I just realized I can post comments. Too bad for you. :) Carolyn and I think about and pray for you guys often. Say hi to the family from both of us.

Tony Lombardo

p.s. It was good to see that the house here in Fergus sold.

1+1=13 said...

Tony! Thanks for the note. We think about you guys too.

I do miss the seminary. It was a good time in our lives.

Thanks for reading the blog. We enjoy doing it.

See you.

sf

Anonymous said...

isn't it just a shame, Ethan, nobody giving back the movie i think that you should just go and beat them all up =D
-culley

Anonymous said...

Ethan, just becase the moive isn't there dosen't mean that they wont give it back
just thout i'd share
~Naina