Friday, November 9, 2007

Remembering Mt. Vernon

Today while eating lunch at school Gracey, Keturah, and I found ourselves seated with 2 other students (and the school's cook and her daughter). We were all having a nice converstation (ok, it was just us 'english speakers' that were having a nice conversation) when somehow we got on the subject of "Bloody Wednesday".

What's "Bloody Wednesday"? Actually, to be correct, you'd have to ask, "What was Bloody Wednesday?" Bloody Wednesday was the euphemistic name that Russ Sleipness gave to the weekly Wednesday night dinner and youth group at New Life Church. Why did we call it "Bloody Wednesday"? If I told you that over the course of the years we had children break various bones (an arm, and an ankle), receive cuts to various body parts including some that required stitches, and damaged tendons and pulled muscles it probably wouldn't surprise you that it came to be known as "Bloody Wednesday".

Strange as it might seem, when the girls and I talked today about our experiences on those memorable Wednesdays there were nothing but smiles, laughs, and giddy recollections of all the "fun" times they had. (Hey, remember line tag?)

Following lunch, we returned home and somebody promptly started to sing, "Give me gas in my
Ford keep me truckin' for the Lord, give me gas in my Ford I pray....." Sure brought back another wave of fond memories as I pictured in my mind Pastor Keith playing his guitar and singing (yes, singing.... a noteworthy occurance to be sure). Can anybody complete this song... "Oh you can't get heaven, oh you can't get to heaven, in a rocking chair, in a rocking chair, oh you can't get to heaven...."?

Then, when I consider that since we've been here we've not darkened the door of a church yet(something about our large family not quite fitting in to any of the few small store-front churches in Albertville) it made me long even more for the good ol' days at New Life Church. Even though our lives are different now, we still have our memories of those days and I know we are all very glad for the ministry we received from Pastor Keith. (Yo, Keith, I love you bro.)

Someday when I have more time I'll have to tell you all about my run as the leader of the high school boys group. Thanks mostly to Patrick and Eric I've got some great first-hand memories (and a few second-hand ones as well).

Hope you have had a great week. Enjoy the weekend.

sf

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah,yes, Bloody Wednesdays. And those Wed. incidents weren't just limited to regulars, they even included 'guests"!! I remember Amanda's jammed finger, which I think still has some residual swelling!
I remember when you lived with us, dreading what I would see or hear about when you came back from Wed. nights in Mt. Vernon!!
Ah yes, the memories,
Auntie Lisa

1+1=13 said...

Oh yes Lisa, I remember leaving your home with you on the porch with this look of worry on your face especially when we had your children with us!!
I remember line tag, I hated it since it ALWAYS ended up with someone hurt, even the adults, remember Kjell? Hurt his ankle chasing all those sweating kids around.
BUT, with all that said, the men of the group always handled the "incidents" with calmness. That helped us mommas with hurt children.
Good times indeed.
janice

1+1=13 said...

I remember seeing Jordan come in from playing cops and robbers and he was bleeding from his head. He and Keturah hit head on at full speed. Turah survived with only a bump on her forehead, but when Mrs. D saw her baby I was glad Russ was sitting right there and took over for us. It worked out well and Jordan and T-rah have a great story to tell.
j

1+1=13 said...

no mom I have a BIG BUMPY SCAR on my arm from that not a bump on the head!! what are you talking about?!?!
:)
keturah

Mrs. D said...

Oh my goodness yes, those were the days weren't they?? I was very thankful to have Russ and you (Jani) there to keep me calm when my poor baby was bleeding to DEATH!!! Okay, I may be exaggerating...

I, on the other hand, when T-Rah came in all bloodied just gasped and said "ohhh that looks bad!". No help at all.... LOL