Friday, February 8, 2008

Have you ever....

Have you ever exclaimed, "Hey, this stupid thing doesn't work!" only to find that the only thing that was 'stupid' was you?

Well, yesterday, while eating lunch - or really, I should say, while trying to eat lunch - Gracey made such a remark. She was trying to eat some leftover pork chops from the previous night's dinner but was having trouble cutting said pork chops. After diligently attempting to cut them for several seconds she blurted out, "Mom, this dumb knife won't cut!" Janice took one look at Gracey holding the knife and said, "That's because you need to flip it over. You're cutting with the wrong edge." We all burst out laughing - even Gracey.

You know, the exact same thing happens to me a lot with the French language. I have noticed that I'll often hear the words being spoken but for some reason I either cannot understand them or I hear the correct words but assign the wrong meaning to them. Either way, I end up confused and frustrated. It is especially maddening when I finally do comprehend and I realize that I struggled with something as basic as, for example, the time of day.

Such is our life right now as we endeavor to learn French. Pray for us, we need it.

A Demain.

sf

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow the french have minipulated your minds!
hee hee tee tee ha ha ho ho
i crack myshelf up!!!!!!!!

~*Naina*~

Anonymous said...

Gracey, the end with the pointy things is the part you put in your mouth and its called a fork!! Just in case you needed some help,
Love Auntie Lisa

Anonymous said...

like mother, like daughter. I'm just impressed Janice figured it out... And when did the Flude family start using sharp shiny objects? I thought that was a no-no.

Anonymous said...

..."but seriously forks", you use the sharp side of the knife to cut with....try it if all else fails!
Well enough making fun of you Gracey, we have all done that before,more than once! Thanks for being a good sport tho and we'll keep on enjoying all you do.
LOL
Grandma Judy

Anonymous said...

Steve,
I can't even imagine how frustrating the language thing must be! I do remember Carmen, our exchange student, describing her frustrations at trying to speak in proper English while she was here
in the U. S. and how the middle school kids made fun of her pronunciations,she would end up crying and I would tell her it was going to be OK, Wow, like I said I just can;t imagine, but I have great faith that as an Engineer, your roadways will smooth out soon!
Lots of LOVE,
judy