Friday, April 3, 2009

At the Market

Several of the kids and I went to the market 2 days ago. I had Payton, Gracey, Emma, Keturah, and Liddy with me. While we were there, sitting in one of the many store fronts (we were sitting there because I had asked the owner if he could find me 2 electric desk fans for the kids bedrooms and while he went to find them we sat waiting for him to return) some of the men who were there also asked Gracey if she would stay with him. This sort of thing happens so often to all of the girls that I know it wasn't a joke. In this culture multiple wives, even ones as young as 13 or 14 years old, is not an uncommon occurance. In fact, when Chadians find out I have 10 kids I can count on 2 reactions: One is "What a great blessing, you are very African". The other reaction is "Do you have 1 wife or more?" When I tell them "Only 1 wife" they normally can't believe it and so ask me again. Janice is really like a rock star here. Everyone wants to meet the woman who's given birth to 10 kids. I am not sure what they expect her to look like, but they do.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Á La Prochaine (until next time)

sf

3 comments:

redhouse4 said...

We still laugh about the guy at Waza who had to come out and see all of those children and only one wife! Olson was just reminiscing about how he grabbed Olson's hand as he came out to see. Fun times! :o)
Kirsten

Mrs. D said...

Hey, Janice IS a rock star! :-)

Very funny but keep a close eye on those beautiful girls of yours!

Love ya guys -
Laura

Auntie Lisa said...

Gracey, all you have to do is make that noise you make when you are trying to unplug your ears, and they will take back their offer!!!
Hahahaha!!
Love Auntie